Saturday, December 5, 2009

Halloween in Japan




I know I'm very late b/c Halloween was 2 months ago.. ive been busy! LOL..

Halloween in Japan is pretty much non-existent. There are a few decorations here and there, but for the most part no one really knows what it is.




There is this amazing bakery close to my house and it was decorated so nicely for Halloween!

Even all the workers were dressed up in costume!



They also had some amazing ice cream parfaits! YUM!


Halloween at School



I encouraged my students at Nishimeya J.H.School to dress up for Halloween, since they don’t usually do that.





We played some Halloween activities that I came up with. The each student had to pick up a piece of paper that either said "trick" or "treat". If they picked treat, they would get a treat. But, if they picked TRICK - they would have to do the action on the paper in order to get their treat.


This is a video of a student that picked trick - he had to "act like a bat"


One card said sing, "head, shoulder, knees and toes"

- they must have been so embarrassed doing this at 14 years old.. LOL!


I made some Halloween loot bags for the teachers and people from my work...this was my way of spreading some Halloween cheer. I dont think ive ever spent this much on Halloween before.


I even asked the vice principal to dress up too. He wasn’t too keen on the idea at first, but the next day he came with a home made sushi costume!! I was so happy that he participated. =)


V.P. dressed up as "ikura" - salmon fish egg sushi



I was dressed up as a Japanese comedian. “catto champeh” is what he says. (whatever that means??) I just thought it looked super funny! LOL!



Jet Party



At night, I celebrated Halloween with the JET teachers on the other side of the prefecture – Hachinohe city (2 hr drive away)… we were late and missed the all you can drink..


Wolverine, Cyclops and the Hulk


its meeee mario!... lol

The other costumes by the peoples were nice. So it still felt a bit like a Halloween party from back home. My costume was the girl from STREET FIGHTER – CHUN LI!



The JET party ended really early. And we were lucky to stumble upon a ‘reggae’ party that some of us went to in our costumes. We were the only ones dressed up in that Japanese party, I guess it was pretty obvious we were the foreigners. It was jokes b/c the dj kept sayin “Big UP Chun Li!!” LOL!





No comments:

Post a Comment